Monday, August 30, 2010

Why Do I Procrastinate?

I wish I was a jump in and do it now kind of person, but sadly I'm not!  I can know for weeks that I need to complete a project but still end up waiting until the last minute.


Sunday afternoon I helped host a bridal shower and I was responsible for the cupcakes. Midweek I thought about making the cupcakes and freezing them until Saturday when I would ice them.  Well, Friday night came and I still had not baked the cupcakes.  Saturday morning I told myself I would just go to the bakery and buy them.  I really didn't want to make cupcakes anyway.  At 5 Saturday afternoon I realized it was too late to go get cupcakes.  So about 7:30 I went to the grocery store and bought the ingredients to bake.


By the time I got home and got started working on the cupcakes it was 8:30!  "Why do I procrastinate?" I asked myself.  If my husband had been home he would have asked me if I just found out I was supposed to bake cupcakes.  He does that.


To make matters worse I decided to make three flavors of cupcakes!  I found a recipe that made a large amount of batter so I mixed it up and divided it into three batches.  I left one batch vanilla, made one batch into chocolate, and the last batch was strawberry.  I had never done this but I figured if it didn't work I had a cake mix in the pantry and I could start over and make them all the same.  


While the vanilla cupcakes were baking I melted the chocolate chips and mixed them in with the batter.  Everything was going pretty well.  Then came the strawberry batter.  I got a little over zealous when flavoring them and got the batter a little runny.  I told myself it would be okay.  Let's just say the strawberry cupcakes went in the trash.  They never rose while they were baking and they were very strawberry!  Next time I decide to make strawberry cupcakes I think I will just use my strawberry cake recipe.


I am so happy that "all the rage" for icing cupcakes is to pipe the icing on with a pastry bag!  This is so easy and quick.  I never could spread icing on a cake or cupcake without it looking awful. I finished up about midnight and was hoping my concoction was edible!


I didn't tell any of my friends who came to the shower I made the cupcakes.  I wanted to see their honest reaction.  I figured if they were bad people would leave them on their plates. To my surprise they were a hit!  I never change up a cake recipe, I follow it to the letter.  So as you can imagine I was not sure what the end results would be.


Next time I am going to plan ahead.  I'm going to buy my groceries the week before.  Then I'm going to test out the recipe on my family.  Who am I kidding?  I've been operating like this for most of my life.  Let's face it I work best under pressure!


Until next time, Go Pokes!
Jani

No comments:

Post a Comment