Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Connection With the Red Dirt Chronicles




As some of you know, Whitni, my daughter, and I take turns writing a weekly post for the Red Dirt Chronicles' blog.  This is how we got into that.


A college sorority sister of mine, Julie Allgyer, also writes a weekly post on the RDC and sent me a link to her stories.  Being from Oklahoma, red dirt country, I became interested in the blog and started following it.

Sometime last fall, Kelly (aka Red Dirt Kelly) the blog's creator, put out a call for someone to cook through a cookbook.  More specifically Stockyards City Cookbook, kind of like a Julie and Julia type thing.  After several weeks Kelly still didn't have any takers, so I tried to talk Whitni into doing it since she is in Oklahoma City.  She was hesitant, afraid she wouldn't have enough time.  So I told her I would contact Kelly and see if she was interested in the two of us sharing the responsibilities even though I no longer lived in Oklahoma.  Kelly seemed happy that we were willing to do this project and said it didn't bother her that I didn't live in OK because I had ties to the state.


Kelly, Whitni, & Jani

So in October, at an Oklahoma State University football game, Whitni and I met Kelly for the first time and  got our cookbooks.  Kelly is a sly one!  If I figured right, at one recipe a week, it is going to take us almost three years to cook through the Stockyards City Cookbook.  I have to admit I am enjoying it and I am pretty sure Whitni is too.  My family likes it because they are guaranteed at least one home cooked meal every two weeks!!  Almost all the recipes I have prepared have been easy and good.  I have only had problems with one recipe and you can read about that here.  I still haven't figured out what is wrong with that recipe!
Chicken & Wild Rice Casserole
Amazing Asian Salad Toss

Cowboy Tortilla Soup
I want to invite you to check out the Red Dirt Chronicles and some great stories written by those "with connections to the great state of Oklahoma".  

Jani


1 comment:

  1. Dear Jani - We're so incredibly happy that you and Whitni found your way to our RDC community and became contributors. Three years! If you two get through ONE year, we're going to have a celebration...I had no idea there were that many recipes! We want you around as long as you're willing to stay...I've tried about half of the recipes you all have published, and haven't been disappointed once. Full, perhaps my belt is a little tighter...but never disappointed! :-) Thanks for all the great work..."Red Dirt Kelly"

    ReplyDelete