Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Wedding Bells

You might say I have been around flower shops on and off for most of my life.  When I was a little girl my grandmother worked at a flower shop.  I loved going to visit her at work and today the smells of a flower shop can conjure up those memories.  When I was in high school I worked after school at a flower shop,  in college I took two floral design classes and my mom bought a flower shop during this time.  After I was married and had two small children I worked for her for several years.
Bridesmaid's bouquet 
Although I have not been around a flower shop in over 20 years, I occasionally make arrangements for events at church, rehearsal dinners, and various other things.  On Sunday, October 10, 2010, the son and daughter of two very dear friends, Connie and Pam, got married.  I was honored when the bride asked me to make the flowers for the wedding.  
Fresh flowers on the cake
Brooke, the bride, and her mother Connie, were able to order the flowers from the floral department of our local grocery store.  They brought the flowers by on Saturday morning for me to get started.  Brooke had chosen green hydrangeas, green cushion pom pom mums, orange gerbera daisies, white mums, orange and white alstroemeria, orange and white miniature carnations, and white cremons.  I have to admit I was a little nervous!
Flowers ready to be made into beautiful things
A mutual friend of mine and Connie's, Patti, came by to "assist" me.  Patti was  great help, she wired all the flowers that needed wiring and went to Hobby Lobby for last minute supplies.  She also was my sounding board and chauffeur.  I did everything I could on Saturday, saving the brides bouquet, mother's bouquets, and the grooms boutonniere for Sunday morning because they all had hydrangeas in them.  
Jani, Brooke, & Patti
On Sunday morning Patti came by and we took all the flowers that were ready to the wedding site.  There was a large arrangement that I had to hold while Patti drove about 15 minutes to the location of the wedding.  
Large arrangement for reception
When we got to Heartwood Hall to deliver the flowers I discovered there were some smaller containers like the large one I had made the arrangement in.  I brought part of them home with me to use the remaining flowers in for the reception.  In the meantime I still had the wedding flowers to finish up.

  

About 1pm Connie called wanting to know where the bride's bouquet was!!  Yikes, I had forgotten it needed to be there early with the other flowers I was doing for the wedding.  Luckily I had just finished with them and was able to send them with my son, Skiler, to Heartwood Hall.  Patti and I neither one had thought about the flowers needing to be there early for pictures!  Thank goodness Skiler was here to save the day!
Skiler
On to the reception flowers I took on at the last minute!  I put Patti to work taping the tops of the containers and putting greenery in them.  I soon realized that I would only have enough time and flowers for two arrangements if I was going to make it to the wedding!  
Arrangement for reception
Patti and I arrived at Heartwood Hall and with her help, we were able to get everything set up for the reception with time to spare.  
Aisle markers
The bride and groom were radiant and it turned out to be a beautiful day for an outside wedding.  Denise, the owner of Hartwood Hall, was calm, cool, and collected, not to mention a wonderful host. I had a great time working with Brooke.  Here's wishing Josh and Brooke a blessed life.


Jani


Brooke & Josh

2 comments:

  1. Jani,
    You did an amazing job on our flowers! They were even more beautiful than I could have imagined. Everything turned out perfect. You truly have a wonderful gift. Also, thank Skiler for me. He was a great help delivering the bouquets and boutonnieres and setting up the lanterns. Thanks again for making our wedding beautiful!

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work! I especially love the simplicity of the bridesmaid bouquet... it's fun and fresh!

    ReplyDelete