Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Motherhood 27 Years Later

My oldest child turned 27 in November.  It seems like yesterday that she was born.  I went two weeks and two days past my due date and the date was set for November 3 to induce.  On the morning of November 2, I went into labor. We lived an hour from the hospital which was in Lawton, OK.  So, as you can imagine, my husband was anxious to head that way. We got there in plenty of time for Blair to eat breakfast AND lunch.  Shortly after 5 that afternoon I gave birth to a 7 lb, 6 oz baby girl!


I'll never forget Blair asking the doctor if he knew what he was doing when he got out the forceps!!



Our middle child was also late, but just eight days.  This go around we lived an hour and a half from the hospital!  So you can guess how nervous Blair was when I went into labor.  Again, we got to Lawton, OK in plenty of time to shop and meet all my in-laws for dinner.  We went to Blair's sister's house until about midnight (we were nice enough to wait for the nurses shift change) and then headed to the hospital.  On the morning of April 4, about 7 am I gave birth to a 7 lb, 9 oz baby boy.

After moving to TN child number three came along.  This baby was in a hurry to meet his sister and brother and came about a week EARLY on November 14! Luckily for Blair we lived a lot closer to the hospital.  We barely had time to drop Whitni and Riley off at a friend's house and get checked in at Baptist East before our third child, another boy, came into the world at 8 lbs.  





It was actually kinda funny when the admissions clerk came into the room and told me if she had know how close I was to giving birth we could have saved the paperwork until after the baby was born!  You see, Skiler was born within 30 minutes of us arriving at the hospital!



There is anxiety and pride in raising children and I must say that is still the case 27, 24, and 18 years later.  From their first step to graduation; learning to ride a bike to learning to drive; leaving home to attend college to living in another state on their own and learning how to make ends meet; as a parent you never stop worrying about your children regardless of their age.  I know they get tired of Mom giving unsolicited advice and I try to limit that with the two older ones, Skiler is still in high school so he gets all kinds of "guidance".


I've been told that being a grandmother doesn't even compare to the feeling of being a parent.  I'm about to find out if this is true!  Riley and Sarah are going to bless Blair and I with our first grandchild in August.  I am very excited!  I have already been busy looking for patterns to knit little caps and booties.  I am trying to change my ways and not procrastinate.  Hopefully I will have all kinds of sweet baby things made when the little one gets here.




Grand baby at 8 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment